The Mount Inn at Stanton
For reservations please call
History of The Mount Inn at Stanton
The village inn was not always known as The Mount & had not always been a pub. The building dates back to the early 17th century when it was originally a farmhouse. Sometime later it became a "cobbler shop", tea room and then an off-licence.
"The Bank" as it was known in 1897 became under the ownership of Donnington Brewery when it was sold to Richard Arkell on 11th October for the princely sum of £604. The brewery's first tenant to their new pub was John Troughton followed by Samuel B Richardson who then passed it onto his son Billy Richardson who successfully ran it until 27th July 1962. Billy is now our friendly house ghost!
We know it to be an off-licence for a number of years as it did not gain its license until 1947 at a cost of £1000. Prior to this time it had become known as "The Five Elms" with no drink allowed to be sold on the premises. However the tenants answer to this was to produce cider from the outbuilding situated in the current car park to be drunk on the other side of the gate by five elm trees that are no longer in existence today. The punters were attracted outside by the erection of a dart board, whom of which must have been fantastic players because if they missed the board they lost their darts in the trees!
In modern times, the reputation of this out-of-the-way inn for good company and good beer & amazing views has spread far and wide, yet it retains all its village friendliness, its ancient timbers steeped in 500 years of hospitality.